Industry Supported Guide to Workforce Development ReleasedPublished on May 14, 2018
The Marine Retailers Association of the Americas (MRAA), the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) and the Rhode Island Marine Trades Association (RIMTA) have released “10+1 Strategy: A Marine Industry Guide to Growing the Workforce” as an instructive document for the marine industry to tackle workforce challenges.
The boards of MRAA and NMMA commissioned the document, which was authored by Wendy Mackie and her staff at the RIMTA. The guide provides 10 specific strategies for building the marine workforce, as well as a “plus 1” strategy that calls for the hiring of a national workforce coordinator. There are 90 specific tactics and more than 20 resources that can be implemented and used by national, regional and state trade associations and industry employers.
For full insight into the guide, its strategies, tactics and useable resources, download it here. The 10+1 Strategy includes the following focal points:
1. Train the Trainer Programming
2. Professional Development Series for Employers and Marine Trade Associations
3. Increase Career Awareness
4. Support Initiatives in K-12 Schools
5. Align with Industries Seeking Workers with Similar Competencies
6. Generate a Library of Effective Program Models and Standardize for Replication
7. Aggregate Industry Data
8. Communicate and Distribute Information
9. Advocate for Funding
10. Cultivate Regional Employer Collaboratives
+1 Hire a National Workforce Development Coordinator