NMMA Releases Final Section of 2018 U.S. Recreational Boating Statistical AbstractPublished on September 9, 2019
The eighth and final section of the National Marine Manufacturers Association’s (NMMA) 2018 U.S. Recreational Boating Statistical Abstract, Total Boat Registrations 2006 – 2018, is now available in the Statistics section of NMMA.org.
Included in this report are annual data on total recreational boats in use and by type, boats retired from the fleet, recreational boat registration totals by state, region, length, powerboat propulsion category and non-powered boat type. Annual data on documented vessels and new documented vessels by region and length are also included.
Insights from the report include:
- Total U.S. boat registrations edged slightly down (-0.8 percent) in 2018.
- The estimated number of boats in use, including those that are not registered, was 15.8 million in 2018.
- Seventy-six percent of registered boats are concentrated in the top 20 states.
- Thirty-two percent of registered boats are concentrated in the top 5 states of Florida, Minnesota, Michigan, California and Wisconsin.
- For the 15th consecutive year, the Great Lakes region has had the densest concentration of registered boats per household, followed by the South Atlantic region, which includes Florida, the state with the most registered boats.